As a commercial or retail property agent today, you have to dominate your local property market. The levels of enquiries and the types of enquiries coming from each and every listing need to be optimised. Any genuine enquiry should be converted clearly and effectively into the correct property.
So why is all this pressure applying today? The simple fact of the matter is that there are fewer enquiries around for every property that you take to market. The buyers of commercial property are still frustrated by the availability of finance. Any genuine enquiry you receive should be qualified and then converted as quickly as possible into the correct listing.
This also says that any overpriced listings are generally a waste of time unless the owner of the property is somewhat flexible to a price reduction down to the levels of current market activity. It should also be said that any price reduction should occur quickly at the commencement of the campaign as most enquiries only come in within the first three or four weeks of marketing commencement. After that time the property progressively becomes less interesting and attractive to the existing buyers.
So the marketing of commercial property today is more important than ever before. The experienced commercial agent has a high value in that process.
For the agent to dominate the commercial property market today, there are some rules to be followed and implemented. Here are some other main ones:
- Every listed property should have a signboard placed on it. Perception of market share is highly important in your local area. The more signboards you can have in your area, the better for your agency in market perception. Signboards still generate a lot of enquiry and have real impact in your local area.
- Quality marketing campaigns are the rule and not the exception today. Every exclusively listed property should be taken to the market through a comprehensive and selectively targeted process. This would normally involve the Internet, local businesses, local Property Investors, newspaper advertising, e-mail marketing, and direct contact or direct calls. This type of marketing campaign takes a serious amount of effort. On that basis, the campaign should only apply to exclusive listings over which you have full control for a reasonable amount of time.
- A vendor paid marketing campaign is essential. Every exclusive listing should have some form of vendor marketing. To assist you in selling this process to the client, you can have three marketing alternatives for the client to consider. Invariably most clients choose the middle level cost and recommendation.
- Keeping in contact with all the business owners locally is just so important today. Business owners and proprietors are the backbone of commercial property activity. Knowing their intentions to move, sell, buy, or rent are some critical parts of your market intelligence gathering.
- Identifying, locating, and contacting the owners of quality property in the local area will always be important. This process can take time given that the ownership identity and structure for a property is sometimes conveniently hidden inside a Property Trust or a Company ownership. Nevertheless, you still need to be implementing a process of contact with all the local property owners and investors.
The best agents know their market and constantly tap into it in a variety of ways and then record their findings. The agent with the largest database that is accurately maintained and up to date is usually the agent doing the deals today. They are the agent of choice. Is that you?